News outside the Quinnipiac campus

Typhoon hits Philippines

On Saturday Nov. 9 what officials call one of the most violent typhoons to ever make landfall hit in the central Philippines, taking roughly 10,000 lives, according to NBC. Winds reached 195 miles per hour and gusts reached 235 miles per hour, wiping out 70 to 80 percent of the structures in the central Philippines. The typhoon has affected more than 4.5 million people, according to NBC. As of Nov. 11, water and food is in short supply and an aroma covers the streets as dead bodies still lie covered by only blankets. The Philippine president declared a “state of national calamity,” according to CNN. A massive and international relief operation is underway as countries from all over the world are doing their best to help the struggling nation.

Harp wins New Haven mayoral election

The town of New Haven elected its first female mayor, Toni Harp, on Nov. 5, according to the New Haven Register. With the majority of households in New Haven being minorities, Harp spoke heavily about inclusion, saying everyone will have a place at the table and be heard. The former mayor, John DeStefano, said he is excited for the new leadership. He is a lifelong resident of New Haven and looks forward to the incoming administration’s commitment to the needs of the people in New Haven.

No deal reached on Iran’s nuclear weapons

No deal was reached on Sunday, Nov. 10 when Iran, the U.S. and five other countries met in Geneva to talk about Iran’s nuclear program, according to NBC. The countries’ diplomats met in negotiations for three days of long sessions. The U.S. wants to freeze progress on Iran’s nuclear programs, making it hard for Iran to get material that could be used to make nuclear weapons, according to NBC. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S. is acting in the interest of the U.S., in the interest of the globe and, in particular, the U.S.’s closest allies. However, other nations do not feel this is the right move. The Israeli prime minister says the deal to halt progress would be a bad move for Israel and he wants sanctions in Iran to stay in place. A U.S. senior administration official says any agreement made would only be a first phase. A new meeting will be set for later this month, according to NBC.