Baseball opens NEC schedule vs. LIU

After a non-conference Fla. trip which landed the Bobcats an 0-5 mark, Quinnipiac was able to pick up its first two wins of the season during its N.Y. swing, winning a three game set against Long Island University. The ‘Cats are 2-9 as of Monday March 28, but 2-1 in the NEC, landing them in a first place tie with Wagner and Sacred Heart.

The Bobcats won the rubber match of the three game set thanks to a complete game, six-hit shutout by ‘Cat starter Chris Wakefield. The righty tossed nine innings, striking out 11 and only walking one Blackbird.

Quinnipiac was helped offensively by four hitters, tallying an RBI a piece. Rightfielder Ryan Rizzo, first baseman Bryan Sabatella, second baseman Randy Gress and leftfielder John Simone each drove in a run for QU, while sophomore shortstop Wilson Matos contributed three hits while scoring a pair of runs.

The shutout win came a day after the Bobcats and LIU split a doubleheader which featured a 4-2 Bobcat win and a 2-0 LIU victory in the nightcap.

The first NEC win of the season came thanks to starting picther Pat Egan’s gutsey performance.

The junior right hander picthed seven innings of five hit ball, giving up two earned runs while striking out seven and walking four.

For the season, Quinnipiac is hitting .228 through 11 games, being outscored 7.18 to 3.45.

The pitching staff has an ERA of 6.64 with a 1.01/1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.