News outside the Quinnipiac campus

Inmate manhunt

Four Oklahoma inmates escaped from their prison cell on Sunday, Oct.27. The four men cut through a maintenance hatch that was above their shower, according to CNN. They then crawled through a 30-foot pipe space beneath the roof, knocked out a piece in the wall and were freed after walking out an unlocked door. The Caddo County Detention Center is a new building, according to NBC. The men were imprisoned on charges of burglary, drugs, escaping from law enforcement officer and probation violation. Three of the men were to be transferred to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections in the near future.

Boy shot after carrying toy gun

The FBI is investigating after a deputy sheriff in Santa Rosa, Calif., shot  and killed a 13-year-old boy carrying what he thought was a real assault rifle. Andy Lopez was walking through his neighborhood when the police ordered him to put down his gun. The deputy said the boy turned to him with the barrel rising up in his direction when he fired, according to NBC. The deputy shot Lopez seven times before realizing that the rifle he was carrying was a fake replica. Hundreds of families have been protesting outside of the deputy’s office calling for justice.

Governor speaks after New Haven Shooting

One person died and five others were shot at the Key Club Cabaret in New Haven at around 3 a.m. Saturday morning. This was the fourth club-related killing in the 16 homicides that have occurred this year in New Haven, according to the New Haven Register. Gov. Dannel P. Malloy spoke at a press conference expressing his grief for the families and said he will be working with Mayor John DeStefano on legislative proposals. This will include cities being able to levy fees for nightclubs in a district where heavy police presence is required, mandating that private security at nightclubs be licensed and trained by the Police Department and reviewing the “mosaic” of different liquor licenses to see whether the state should simplify them, according to the New Haven Register.