QuinniPR brings breast cancer awareness to campus

In honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, members of QuinniPR, the public relations organization, sold pink hair extensions in the Piazza on Thursday, Oct. 10, to support the Susan G. Komen Foundation and to spread breast cancer awareness on campus.

[media-credit name=”Patrick Halloran ” align=”alignright” width=”300″]breastcanceronline[/media-credit]

In total, QuinniPR’s Passionately Pink event raised more than $2,500 and had more than 600 people in attendance.

Breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women worldwide, and it’s estimated that 1.6 million cases of breast cancer were reported among women in 2010, according to research done by the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Senior Michele Monteiro, vice president of media relations for QuinniPR believes that it is important for both women and men to be aware of breast cancer, and there should be more events on campus spreading breast cancer awareness.

“So many women are victims of it,” Monteiro said. “You see mothers, sisters, daughters, a lot of  women suffer from it. It’s a great way for women to come together.”

Monteiro first came up with the idea for the fundraising event in her freshman year.

Monteiro explained that her ex-boyfriend’s mother was a breast cancer survivor, and this  inspired her to create a fundraiser to support other women with breast cancer.

“She was like a second mom to me,” Monteiro said. “I never ran anything in high school like this fundraiser, but I had done pink hair extensions before, so I thought that QuinniPR would be able to launch it here.”

Christine Patti, one of the co-directors of QuinniPR, believes that breast cancer affects many students on campus, and that this fundraiser is helping students who have been affected by it come together.

“It’s a way to show people that yes you are going to get a pink hair extension and it’s a fun event, but at the same time this is something that affects so many people,” Patti said. “I think just showing respect to those people who are affected brings greater meaning to the event.”

People have been affected by breast cancer on campus, such as sophomore Angela Holdorf.

Holdorf shared that her mother is a stage four breast cancer survivor. She believes that this experience has made her family stronger.

“Everyone in my family definitely doesn’t take life for granted,” she said. “There was a lot of going to the hospital, and waiting for hours. It was a struggle for us.”

In total, Holdorf’s mother had 15 surgeries and experienced numerous hours of chemotherapy and radiation. Holdorf believes that her mom is one of the strongest women she knows.

“She always said ‘I’m going to take care of myself, you guys take care of yourselves,’” Holdorf said. “I always thought this was incredible for someone with cancer to say.”

Ever since her mom was diagnosed 10 years ago, Holdorf has been involved in various carwashes and walks to support breast cancer awareness.

Freshman member of QuinniPR Megan Sluhocki’s mother is in cancer remission and believes that this event is a great way to give back to the community.

“It’s nice to show that you are supporting people who are going through the same problems that you’re going through.” Sluhocki said.

Holdorf is happy people support breast cancer awareness today.

“Everyone is always wearing pink for breast cancer,” Holdorf said. “If you go to the store during October, you see a lot of pink ribbons and stuff out for breast cancer awareness.”

Freshman Melissa Moynihan wanted a pink hair extension to honor her mother’s best friend who has breast cancer, she said.

Monteiro is proud of the outcome of the event and hopes the event continues after she graduates this year.

“I think that all of us [QuinniPR] together have brought a significant amount of awareness to breast cancer on campus,” Monteiro said.