QU students giving back to athletic department

The Quinnipiac athletic program tries to include the student body will in sporting events in and around campus.

In the last two years, the athletic department, headed by athletic director Jack McDonald, has heightened the involvement of QU students in university athletic events by supplying buses to every men’s and women’s ice hockey games off campus.

Planning two special events in New York City and Boston, Quinnipiac sent bus loads of people to Madison Square Garden last year for a men’s basketball game and then this year, shipping out an excess of 700 QU fans on seven buses to the Fleet Center for a men’s ice hockey game against Holy Cross. Now it’s time for the students to return the favor to the athletic department.

Professor Bill Schweitzer’s PRR 400 class, sports event planning, is now turning to that student body in hopes of completing a project they have been assigned, filling the gym.

On Mar. 1, the women’s basketball team is playing host to St. Francis [N.Y.] in the regular season and NEC finale.

The class, which was given roughly four weeks to complete the project, has a tough road ahead of them as the women usually draw 421 fans for home games, with the number significantly less, 316, during week nights. The capacity of Burt Kahn Court is 1,500.

The highest draw for fans at a women’s home game this season is 736 during senior day this past weekend.

“It’s great having a lot of fans in the seats,” women’s head coach Tricia Sacca-Fabbri said. “I think this is a great idea.”

The night which has been dubbed “Pack the House Night” has been the talk of campus for almost two weeks since the mysterious 03.01.05 has been popping up.

The plan being used to draw fans is one with many parts.

Free food, courtesy of Subway, Primo, Villa, Chartwells and Tonino’s among others, will be served before the game in the Rec Center starting at 6:30 p.m. A ticket will be required to enter the food court. Boomer will also be on hand to meet and greet fans as well as take pictures with students from surrounding New Haven county.

“I think this game is going to be awesome,” PRR 400 student Lindsey Kelly said. “We have so many sponsors,so many people from the community getting involved and lots of positive feedback from students”

Game promotions include raffles and drawings at every media timeout. Halftime will feature a shooting contest involving students who will have the chance to win various prizes of significant worth. The Quinnipiac Dance Company will also perform a routine at the intermission.

All prizes will be distributed after the conclusion of the game.

The fact that the game is the last regular season contest for five seniors will make the game that more emotional and a sell-out crowd would be a nice way for the women to remember their last game at Burt Kahn Court.