Sophomore guard on the prowl

To say Krystal Pressley, the 19-year-old, 5’7 guard on the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team is having a good season would be an understatement for the number of achievements Pressley has accomplished over the last several months.

Most recently Pressley was named Quinnipiac’s Athlete of the Month for the third month in a row. She leads her team in scoring and is the third leading scorer in the North East Conference, with an average of 18 points per game. However during Quinnipiac’s first game against St. Francis (PA) this past November Pressley scored 27 points, leading the Bobcats to the 76-69 win that ended St. Francis’s 31 game NEC winning streak. “I feel that was the best game we’ve played this season as a team, and the best game I’ve played this season personally,” said Pressley. She also scored a season-high of 32 points against University of New Hampshire, and game-high points of 27 against Yale University.

Presley’s aim for the net wasn’t just on for the game against St. Francis; this past month during the Bobcat’s game against Long Island University Pressley scored a game-high of 20 points, including the final 12 points for Quinnipiac. Immediately following the timeout that was called by the Bobcats with 22 seconds left in the game Pressley shot a three-pointer, making the final score a 57-52 win for the Bobcats over LIU.

After playing just a little over half the season Pressley has made 38 shots from the three point line, putting her only 16 trifectas away from making a new single season record for three-pointers, which is currently held by Sara Esidore who had 53 in the 2002-2003 season.. “I feel I have had a pretty successful season so far and I have fulfilled a lot of the goals I set for myself, but there is still a lot of work to be done,” said Pressley.

Currently in the 2004-2005 NEC Stats, Pressley is ranked first in free-throw percentage, third in field goal percentage and fourth in 3-point field goals made.

Pressley said her personal goal for the rest of the season is “to lead the team to a conference title and help us get a one or two seat within our conference as we go into the tournament,” it is certain we will Pressley get much closer to making a new single season record for three-points, or even better attain it.