Party scene tough for seniors

SUNY Albany was named “best party school” for the ninth time by the Princeton Review. Quinnipiac did not make the top 20. While we boast strong academics that could rival countless other universities nationwide, seniors complain about not getting an equitable social life. While I am not an advocate of illegal drinking of minors or drug use, I have been the ear that has listened to many a senior complain about the social life that this year is not providing for them, their final undergraduate semesters where most grads advise making memories and living it up.

Now, I enjoy Quinnipiac as much as the next student. But after being a part of many, many discussions on what was lacking here, my fellow seniors have come to the conclusion that come the weekend, there is nothing to do. Although there have been parties, students have found that they are not as big as they were in past years. Some feel that there is a lack of community, while others say that the lack of space because more seniors opted to live in apartments is a big drawback.

Senior Suzanne Conway said, “I just think being off campus disconnects you from the whole ‘college life.’ When you’re underclassmen on campus, there’s always tons of people around and usually something to do. Now you have to drive to see friends and it’s just a hassle. I think people have their friends and that’s who they hang out with. But I do think in the past seniors seemed to have more parties where everyone kind of got together.”

Many students agree with Conway in the fact that being off campus is the main culprit in the problem of an inactive social life. Senior Spencer Hunter said, “Its got to do with the fact that students are forced off campus.” Senior Jill Racki said, “People off campus aren’t as close. Maybe the parties off campus are segmented and smaller.”

Other students have attempted to bring back the cycle of good parties that were abundant last year. One senior said that, although he lives in a big house, he and his roommates don’t throw too many bigger parties, but instead only invite people they know and regularly hang out with. Another senior said, “We try to have parties but they aren’t that great. Most seniors go to bars. They don’t like having parties because now that they are 21 they can go out. Our class is very clique-ish. When we invite people, they won’t come because they don’t know everyone in our house. I expect it by now and would rather go out, too.” (Both students asked to remain anonymous.)

Still, some seniors reason that our expectations of a party life at Quinnipiac are too high. Senior James Zumbo said, “Maybe it’s the opinion of what a social life is supposed to be. We’re getting older and I think it might continue to slow down. It’s a mental thing also. Personally, I’m enjoying this year better than any other. I’m just not a party guy though.”

All seniors can hope for is that the party scene around here improves. Not only does it deplete our cash flow every time that we trek anywhere from Whitney Ave. to New Haven, but it brings a loss of sense of community in our senior class.