Softball takes second of three

The Quinnipiac softball team used a strong all-around effort to pick up its second win in as many days. The Bobcats held off a late charge from the University of Tennessee Chattanooga and defeated the Lady Mocs, 11-8 at Eddie C. Moore Field in Clearwater, Fla.

A seven-run sixth inning in which Quinnipiac collected seven hits, including six with two outs, powered the Bobcats to their fourth win of the season.

The Bobcats struck early, scoring three times in the opening frame. After Nikki Barba’s RBI single got Quinnipiac on the board, sophomore Jordan Paolucci smacked a two-run homer to jump out to a 3-0 lead.

The Lady Mocs scored on a sac fly in the second, and an Anyssa Robles three-run home run gave UTC a 4-3 lead until Quinnipiac knotted the score at four in the next half-inning.

In the sixth, the Bobcats bats came alive. With a runner on second and two outs, Quinnipiac’s next seven batters reached base thanks to six singles and a walk. By the end of the frame, the Bobcats led 11-4.

UTC threatened in the bottom half of the sixth, scoring four runs until their rally was cut short after Robles was thrown out trying to advance to third after an RBI-double.

Hannah Lindsley got the start for the Bobcats, but was chased in the third inning. Lindsley surrendered four runs on four hits while walking two in her shortest outing of the season. Junior Katie Alfiere got the win after coming in to relieve the sophomore starter, but wasn’t particularly effective, giving up seven hits and three earned runs.

Quinnipiac’s bats were on fire, as every starter contributed a hit. Freshman Courtney Solt continued her recent tear for the Bobcats, picking up three hits of her own and knocking in a pair. Solt raised her team-leading batting average to .367 after going 8 for 12 over the past two days.

Quinnipiac will get a day off before the start of the City of Clearwater Spring Invitational, when they’ll square off against Maine on March 15 at 11 a.m.