Seniors bid farewell to QU

As the semester draws to a close, Quinnipiac University is forced to part with its some of the best fall athletes it has seen in recent years.

This year’s graduating class is a special one in terms of Quinnipiac’s history. They were among the first players to step onto a Division-I field when Quinnipiac made the jump from Division II in 2000. This year’s seniors were there when Quinnipiac bade farewell to the Brave and welcomed the Bobcat. A total of fourteen seniors are walking away from the college sports scene at the end of their respective seasons.

The women’s soccer team has six seniors on the roster. Melissa Ganias, Meghan Kennedy, Megan Knapp, Jill Gregoire, Megan Rooney, Molly Harrington, and Elisa Goncalves are the last remaining members of the 2000 Quinnipiac women’s soccer team. This team was the first team in school history to qualify for the NCAA tournament at a Division I level.

Goncalves, a forward from South Windsor, Connecticut, made her senior season a historical one. She reached the 100 career point mark during a match against Lehigh. Goncalves is only the third woman in Quinnipiac history to reach that plateau and the first to achieve it while playing her entire career in Division-I.

The men’s soccer team honored its four departing seniors on Senior Day which was held on October 25. Plaques were given to David Roger, Fred Serra, Bryan Wallace, and Stephen Drosopoulos. To cap off a bittersweet day, the Bobcats defeated Saint Francis, 3-2.

When the seniors played their last home game on Friday, Oct. 31, they were able to defeat the Sacred Heart Pioneers, 1-0.

The women’s field hockey team also won their game on senior day, a 2-0 shutout against Sienna College. Eileen Gallagher, Heather Hamwey, Erin Gunn and goalkeeper Lauren Montgomery are all in their final season as a Bobcat.

The field hockey team is continuing its season’s success deep into the NEC playoffs. They also beat Sacred Heart and move onto the finals to face Rider University.

Playing a sport requires a substantial sacrifice on the part of the athlete. Countless hours are spent preparing for the games on and off the field. On top of that, these athletes are required to keep up with a demanding class schedule.

Eileen Gallagher believes that she got the most out of her stay at Quinnipiac.

“I 100% believe that athletics, particularly Quinnipiac athletics, have prepared me for what lies beyond my college experience,” said Gallagher. “Besides the obvious elements, such as the lifelong friendships, the time-management skills, and the mental toughness sports provide, being part of a successful, hardworking team instilled within me a confidence that I will maintain for the rest of my life. This confidence will assist me in many aspects of life such as job-interviews, job competency, and in future family life.”

When asked about how people react to Gallagher’s commitment to the team, Gallagher replied;

“I really do not have any regrets about college. All too often people will ask why I play when I could be going out. ‘You’re going to regret it,’ they say.”

Senior Day is a time to give thanks and to honor the players who have been apart of the Quinnipiac athletic family since the very first game they stepped foot on campus.

“Though it was bittersweet, our Senior Day, which marks the last home game, was the culmination of all the hours, the incredibly hard work and training, the laughter, the victories as well as the losses, and the growth I have experienced while being a part of the team I consider the best part of my college life,” Gallagher said. “I love to have fun, but nothing can make me happier than being part of the field hockey team. I love the [whole] team, from the coaches, to the trainers, to my teammates.

So much for “missing out.”

Congratulation to this year’s senior athletes and may the success you’ve had at Quinnipiac follow you on whatever path you take in life.