Women’s basketball sits atop NEC

Behind the play of senior guard Felicia Barron, the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team continued its excellent play over winter break by going 8-2 in 10 games and maintaining first place atop the Northeast Conference.

Barron, who is averaging a team-best 16.2 points and 3.9 steals per game, has led the Bobcats this year to a 15-2 record (6-0 NEC). She has also contributed 2.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists per-game while averaging close to 28 minutes a contest.

Quinnipiac defeated St. John’s, Northeastern and Robert Morris, among others, over the break. Yet, on Dec. 16, Quinnipiac had its seven-game winning streak snapped in a 67-61 loss at Hartford. The only other loss for the Bobcats this season was on Dec. 29, when they fell to Georgia Tech at the Florida International Tournament.

Dating back to Dec. 30, Quinnipiac, led by head coach Tricia Fabbri, has built a seven-game win streak. The Bobcats are the only remaining team in the NEC without a loss to a conference opponent.

In the most recent Division I mid-major poll on CollegeInsider.com, Quinnipiac has soared to No. 12 overall, receiving 389 points and moving up from its previous spot at No. 15.

Barron hasn’t been the only one making major contributions to the team’s success. Junior forward Brittany McQuain has added 11.5 points (45.1 percent from the field) and a team-leading 8.1 rebounds per game. Sophomore Jasmine Martin has also chimed in with 13.4 points per game for the Bobcats.

Furthermore, Quinnipiac has remained undefeated at home this year, going a perfect 6-0 at the TD Bank Sports Center. As a team, the Bobcats are scoring 70.2 points per game and only allowing 60.6.

Monday evening, Quinnipiac downed St. Francis (Pa.) 85-69, as Barron dropped 28 points. The Bobcats look to continue their success at home against Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday.