Editor’s office

The success of Florida State has long been credited to the team’s offense, but this year it is a different story. The defense is what is leading this team to victories. The team has surrendered 37 points in five games, which is 7.4 points per game. The defense will get a test this week against number two ranked Miami at home…Four top 25 teams fell again last week to unranked schools. Arizona State (24), Iowa (9), Missouri (23), and USC (3) all faltered, two of them in overtime. Florida (25), Arkansas (14), Northern Illinois (22), Tennessee (8), and TCU (17) all had to make fourth quarter comebacks just to win their respective game. This shows that there is not one true dominant power house in Division 1 this year. The field is wide open for the National Championship Game…Notre Dame continues to make me feel like one of the smartest sports writers in the country every week. Since before the season started, I said that the Fighting Irish would not be able to sustain their great play from last season to this season and that they would be down right awful. Another loss, this one to Purdue 23-10, has almost sealed the fate of the Irish. The Irish did not score in the second half and now have a freshman quarterback at the helm of Ty Willingham’s ship which is sinking rather quickly…The Heisman race is wide open thanks to poor play by early season favorites. There are two players however that are upping their performances. Kevin Jones, a running back for Virginia Tech, is seeing the results from working out with his father all off season. They focused on Jones gaining 20 pounds and increasing his speed. So far this season he has 433 yards and six touchdowns. The other legitimate contender is Pittsburgh wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. After a grabbing seven catches for 135 yards and three touchdowns against one the toughest defenses in the nation, Texas A&M, Fitzgerald now has 32 receptions for 783 yards and nine touchdowns…Two weeks ago, I said how B.J Symons was going to make Texas Tech fans forget all about Kliff Kingsbury, well it has officially happened. Symons passed for an obscene 661 yards against Ole Miss along with tossing six touchdowns. He is now on pace for 48 touchdown passes and 5,883 passing yards, Kliff who…