Men’s basketball snaps three-game losing streak

Double-doubles from starting forwards Ike Azotam and Jamee Jackson powered the Quinnipiac men’s basketball team to its third win of the season on Wednesday over Colgate by the final of 67-56 at the TD Bank Sports Center.

The Bobcats outrebounded the Raiders 46-34 on the night, 18 of them coming from the offensive end. Azotam finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds, good for his 19th career double-double.

Jackson fell one point short of Azotam’s final stat sheet, putting in 11 points and 10 rebounds.

“Jamee did a really nice job tonight,” Quinnipiac head coach Tom Moore said after the game. “This kind of game for him is a big one. He’s a kid who’s been a great four year player for us, and his energy and hard work paid off tonight in a big way. I’m very happy for him.”

After getting out to an early 21-7 lead, Quinnipiac (3-4) watched their lead shrink to only five points at halftime. In the second half, however, good defense and interior play fueled the home team to its first victory in four games.

“The guys did a nice job of not letting any self-doubt creep in,” Moore said of his teams second half performance. “They came out with a lot of energy and enthusiasm, and a more consistent performance which got the lead back up to double digits quickly.”

Garvey Young led all scorers on the night, scoring 15 points and shooting 5-of-6 from the free throw line. Young played tonight with a mask on his face after being hit in the eye in practice on Tuesday.

“I actually had the mask from last year, so I’m used to practicing with it,” Young said afterwards. “I just came out and was ready to play, it didn’t really affect me at all.”

When asked of the significance of the injury, young said there was nothing to worry about.

“Nothing serious at all, it wasn’t going to keep me out,” he said.

Colgate (3-6,) was led by both Murphy Burnatowski and Mitch Rolls, who netted 12 each. Quinnipiac held the visiting team to only 37 percent shooting from the field, though, which Moore applauded his team for after.

“Our goal is to be plus 10 on the backboard and hold the opposing team to under forty percent shooting every game,” Moore said. “It’s something I preach every day in practice. It all goes back to our guys knowing the personal.”

The Bobcats next action is on Saturday at home against Vermont. They are slated for a 4 p.m. start before they head on the road for two games.