Zaccone leads Bobcats

Everyone needs a leader. The Yankees have Derek Jeter. The Sox have Nomar Garciaparra. The Patriots have Tom Brady. The Giants have Kerry Collins. Now, the women’s soccer team has Heather Zaccone, a freshman goalie from Montclair, New Jersey.

Zaccone takes over between the pipes

for graduated goalie

Jenna Lawless. Zaccone has some big shoes to fill. Lawless became one of the best goalies in Quinnipiac history, holding the career records for shutouts with 20 and in goals against average with 1.03.

Despite the daunting task of having to replace Lawless, Zaccone remains as she has always been throughout her career, optimistic and experienced. Zaccone was faced with the same situation in high school when she started at goalie as a freshman.

“I basically played goalie my whole career, but in the beginning I would play some games in the net, and some games on the field. Basically I’ve always been a goalie,” said Zaccone.

Heather started playing soccer between the third and fourth grade.

During her 2001 season with the Central Jersey Stars, Zaccone encountered her most memorable soccer experience.

“Our club team went on a trip to Brazil,” said Zaccone. “When we were there we played against the women’s national soccer team.”

Zaccone looked at four other schools before she decided to come to Quinnipiac. Muhtenburger, Monmouth, Holbarth, and William Smith all attracted the attention of the future Bobcat goal tender. Heather said her decision came down to Monmouth and Quinnipiac, but it was the chance to start and an excellent business program that swayed her to mind the net for the Bobcats.

In

her first game for the yellow and blue, Zaccone saved three shots in a 2-1 loss to the University of Massachusetts. Against Providence College a few days later, Zaccone only gave up one goal and saved seven shots.

“The biggest difference between high school and college is the pace of the game. College games are a lot quicker and more tactical as opposed to high school games,” said Zaccone.

Heather seems to be settling in quiet well to college soccer. After a rough couple of games after her debut, Zaccone is starting to return to the form that helped produce three Essex County Championships and one Section Championship for her Montclair High School soccer team.

“Basically, the team’s goal for the season is to win the New England Conference Tournament. I’d personally like to record a couple of shutouts,” said Zaccone.

Zaccone is a Business Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management Major. She hopes to own her own business someday, one that is based on computer aided web-design. Zaccone says that playing soccer has managed to help her with her studies.

“Soccer helps me manage my time better. It keeps me motivated because it fills up my afternoons, forcing me to do work later on,” said Zaccone.

Zaccone helped stake her claim as one of the top goalies in the NEC

over the weekend when the Bobcats played St. Francis and won 1-0. Zaccone had three saves in her first collegiate win and shutout.