Coach DeSantis awarded extension

Quinnipiac University men’s basketball coach Joe DeSantis has been awarded a contract extension through 2007, announced by Director of Athletics and Recreation Jack McDonald on May 2.

DeSantis has just completed his eighth season at Quinnipiac, leading the Bobcats to a 17-12 record, the team’s second-best record at the division I level. The team made it to the Northeast Conference Tournament semifinals for the second straight year. Last year they advanced to the NEC championship game.

Under DeSantis, Quinnipiac has posted two straight 14+ win seasons and three in the past four years.

Quinnipiac has had five All-Northeast Conference selections and three members of the league’s All-Tournament team under DeSantis. The Bobcats have also had the nation’s leading rebounder in Jeremy Bishop and the Division I leader in assist/turnover ratio in Rob Monroe.

In 1999-2000, DeSantis led the Quinnipiac to an 18-10 (12-6 NEC) mark and was named ‘2000 NEC Coach of the Year’ by CBS.Sportsline.com.

DeSantis is just the fifth head coach in the history of the Quinnipiac men’s basketball program. DeSantis was hired on July 22, 1996 after serving 14 years as an assistant coach at Fairfield University (1981-88), Duquesne University (1989-92), the University of Pittsburgh (1992-94), and St. John’s University (1995-96).