A glance at Q.U. senior Jon Kroll

Jon Kroll. Does that name ring a bell?

Kroll’s short stature, brown curly hair and bright pink book bag should stick out in most peoples’ minds. But what makes Kroll, a Quinnipiac University senior, so great? Perhaps because he could be considered one of the most well-known, involved students on campus.

“Jon Kroll? Of course I know Jon Kroll. He is practically involved in every organization and event on campus. I see him from time-to-time, and he always smiles and says hello,” says Le-La Cloutier, a freshman.

For all who know him personally, or know of his name, the majority would all agree that Kroll is a kindred spirit of QU who has marked his place through his integrity, love and passion to make Quinnipiac more of a diverse, united and involved community.

The son of Leland and Judith Kroll, Kroll is from Princeton Junction, N.J. He has one brother, Seth, 19. Kroll credits the foundation his family has established for his passion for community involvement.

“I am almost modeling my parents,” Kroll said. “They continuously helped out in high school functions that my brother and I participated in and they continuously helped in the synagogue and those functions.”

Kroll was involved at West Windsor-Plainsboro High School his freshman year by joining a youth group and a National Jewish Youth Group. He was also involved in the establishment of a Jewish cultural group in his high school, and the formation of a multi-cultural youth group.

When senior year came around, there was no doubt in Kroll’s mind that QU was his first choice.

“It gave me the opportunity to be the big fish in the sea in terms of my major, political science, and my faith, Judaism,” Kroll said.

As a freshman at QU, Kroll became actively involved in the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Supporters (G.L.A.S.S), the Student Programming Board, Hillel, Students Helping Advocating Diversity Education (S.H.A.D.E.) and was also the student government vice president of his class. His grades fell because he was too heavily involved, and thus decided to join less organizations the following year.

Through excellent time management, Kroll went on to become the student government vice president of his class four years in a row, Hillel President, an active member of the board of trustees, S.H.A.D.E.’s chairperson and a student representative of the Albert Schweitzer Institute. He also ran in a local election his junior year for the position of town council under a student concerns platform.

Although he lost, his spirits to stay involved with the QU campus were not dented.

In fact, for the past three years, Kroll has been primarily spending his summers at QU.

He has been an orientation leader for the past four years and has been the undergraduate orientation leader director for the past two years.

After reflecting on his past four years at QU, Kroll believes his best accomplishment has been his connection with the students, faculty and administrators.

He believes he has helped make the Jewish culture more prevalent on campus, helped bring the Albert Schweitzer Institute to QU, and helped create the student center expansion, which is in the process of being reviewed by the board of trustees.

Kerstin M. Soderlund, Ph.D., director of the Carl Hanson Student Center & Student Leadership Development, has worked closely with Kroll over the past year.

“Jon is one of the most passionate students I have ever met,” Soderlund said. “Everything he does is driven by the best intent. He genuinely cares about others around him.”

Kroll considers himself unique because he is a type of person who will step out of his boundaries to fulfill others needs, and encourage others to do the same while enjoying life.

Next year, Kroll will be a resident hall director for Miami University of Ohio.

He can see himself working for QU in the future because he says the school had a huge impact on shaping his life, and he would like the opportunity to continue shaping the lives of others.

Kroll says that his ultimate goal is to be a global humanitarian, a prominent figure in the education system and an honest political figure.

For now, Kroll will always remember playing Frisbee with his close friends, hanging out with the wonderful people he has met at QU, learning new perspectives, and modifying his outlook through a broader vision of life.

As he looks ahead to the next chapter in his life, Kroll offers words of wisdom to others who want to make a difference.

“For no other reason,” Kroll said, “become involved in the student body for yourself.”