QU softball builds on past success, eyes playoffs

Due to the inclement weather, the women’s softball team has had four of their last eight scheduled games either postponed or cancelled, including a double-header Thursday against Hartford.

As of games played through April 10 the softball team is in fourth place in the NEC with a conference record of 3-2 and 17-8 overall.

Senior Elizabeth Moriarty, from Hillsborough, New Jersey, is second in the NEC for batting average (.407) and slugging percentage (.729).

Moriarty also leads the Bobcats with five triples and has started in 23 of 25 games for the Bobcats this season. Junior Melissa Reynolds, from Waymouth, Mass., has a pitching record of 9-1 with an earned run average of 3.00 and has seven complete games in ten starts this season.

Two of her complete games were shutouts. Reynolds also leads the conference in saves with three.

This season the lady Bobcats have 17 wins, improving on last year’s overall record of 16-22; a season that ended on a seven game losing streak.

Also, they improved from their seventh place finish of last year into, currently, fourth place with a chance of a playoff berth.

And the Bobcats certainly have taken advantage of the home field this season posting a 6-1 record, an improvement from last year’s 5-7 record at Quinnipiac.

Offensive improvements are one of the Bobcat’s strengths. The team’s batting average (.268) has jumped from last year (.256), along with triples (15) from last year’s total (5).

The pitching has come through so far this season as well. The staff’s ERA is down from last year (3.44) to currently (3.01) and has struck a total of 91 batters this season.