Softball starts strong in conference

The Quinnipiac softball team opened up Northeast Conference play last week with games against Robert Morris University and St. Francis (PA). The Bobcats split the first double header versus Robert Morris, winning the first game 8-2, but falling in the second 7-6.

The Bobcats started the first game on a four-run lead thanks to three RBI with back-to-back triples from Jill Cimminello and Brandi Simon. The Colonials picked up a run from Erica Riggle, who reached on an error and scored on a wild pitch.

While Robert Morris tried to chip away at the Quinnipiac lead, the Bobcats secured their lead in the sixth with three more runs, coming from three hits in a row from Ashley Morgan, Alyssa Mansolf, and Sarah Collins. Simon added another run later in the sixth.

Freshman Kim Norman had the win for the Bobcats, while Melissa Reynolds concluded her third save of the year.

Later on that afternoon, in the second game, Robert Morris jumped out the early lead, ending the first inning 2-0.

The Bobcats finally put some runs on the board in the third inning, with Mansolf singling to send Sara Blumenthal home. Quinnipiac held the lead in the fourth, finishing with five hits and three runs scored in the inning.

Simon, Courtney O’Neil, and Sara Abbott all singled, while Elizabeth Moriarty hit a double to boost the Bobcats lead.

However, the Colonials were not done, scoring two runs in the top of the fifth to take the lead, 5-4.

Robert Morris scored again in the top of the seventh to put them up one run, and the Bobcats could not capitalize on hits from Collins and Simon, losing the second half of the double header 7-6.

In another scheduled double header on Sunday, the Bobcats made the best of the inclement weather and defeated St. Francis (PA) 7-5. The second game of the series was called because of rain. With the win over the Red Flash, Quinnipiac improves to 15-6 overall, 2-1 in the NEC.

Red Flash pitcher Stacy Scofield walked seven batters in the second inning, while Moriarty recorded the Bobcats only hit of the game. The Bobcats were ahead at the bottom of the fifth, 7-2, when the officials inspected the field because of the weather. The game was not called, and St. Francis attempted to make the best of this second chance.

The Red Flash capitalized, scoring three runs in the top of the sixth, rallying for two hits. However, St. Francis could not finish the seventh as well as they started the sixth, and the Bobcats claimed the victory, 7-5.