Women’s volleyball hires three assistant coaches

The Quinnipiac women’s volleyball team announced the signing of three assistant coaches to work with head coach Kris Czaplinski.

Lynsey Somers was hired as a paid assistant coach while Lindsay Marone and David Cyr will be volunteer assistant coaches. Before being hired at Quinnipiac, Somers worked as a graduate assistant for two years at St. Lawrence College where she was an assistant coach for the volleyball and track teams. She also has assistant coaching experience at Colgate from 2006-2007 and Quinnipiac from 2007-2008.

Before coaching, Somers played volleyball and track at Defiance College where she earned all-conference honors for both. The now Bobcat assistant coach captained the Defiance volleyball squad her senior year and earned all-HCAC honors. For track, she was named the team MVP for field events during her senior and junior seasons ,and in 2004 she was named the Defiance College Distinguished Athlete.

Marone will assistant Czaplinski and help in the player’s daily routines. She currently works at the Woodbridge Volleyball Center as a referee for adult league games and coaches all-skill level volleyball camps. Marone also works at Amity Physical Therapy where she works directly with patients exercise programs.

Marone graduated from Springfield College where she had several internship positions in the sports field including Velocity Sports Performance and at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning. She also coached the Hamden high school girls’ junior varsity team for two years while assisting the varsity squad. She was a four-year member of the Springfield volleyball team as an outside hitter.

Finally, Cyr joins the coaching staff for his first Division I coaching position. Cyr was a volunteer for the Blockheads Volleyball Camp as well as an assistant coach for the Tyrrell Middle School girls’ volleyball team.

Czaplinski became an interim head coach in February 2012 when former head coach Robin Sparks was fired. Czaplinski was named the team’s head coach for this season. The team is 1-12 this season and have won only 4-of-27 sets. It hosts Sacred Heart on Satuday, searching for its first conference win of the year.