BREAKING: Girl Talk for SPB Fall Concert

Gregg Michael Gillis of Girl Talk

Mash-up and digital sampling artist, Girl Talk, is this year’s talent for the annual fall concert on Saturday, Oct. 27, as revealed by the Student Programming Board.

[media-credit name=”Wikimedia Commons” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

SPB has sent out a viral announcement through social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube this afternoon.

“I think Girl Talk falls into a genre we haven’t had before,” Anna McAvinchey, the mainstage chair for SPB, said. “Its something exciting and fun, and I know whoever goes, whether they have heard of Girl Talk or not, will have a really good time.”

Neon Hitch, who McAvinchey describes as a mix between Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, will be the opening act. She is known for her song “Love You Better.”

This year the concert will be held in the Recreation Center on the Mount Carmel campus due to scheduling conflicts and new construction in the TD Bank Sports Center, McAvinchey said. She thinks this is a good venue for the kind of performer Girl Talk, or , is. Doors open at 6 p.m., and the show starts at 7 p.m.

Tickets are $20 for students, and $25 for guests, graduate students and alumni. They are all general admission and will be sold at the Carl Hansen Student Center tables beginning Oct. 1. This year there won’t be online ticket sales, and McAvinchey added it’s more convenient for the committee this way.

The mainstage committee has been planning the concert since the summer, working with a talent agent to discuss what’s out there, who’s available, and what’s best for the show, McAvinchey said.

“I have really enjoyed being the main stage chair,” McAvinchey said. “I think the effort SPB puts forth for the students is amazing. Everyone in the mainstage committee is so enthusiastic so I know it will be a really good show.”

Security details have not been finalized yet. Information about what students can and cannot bring will be announced closer to the concert date.