‘Katie’s Game’ raises $2,000 for Camp Sunshine

Katies Game raises $2,000 for Camp Sunshine
Members of the community filled the Quinnipiac Baseball Field Saturday afternoon for Phi Sigma Sigma’s annual “Katie’s Game,” held to remember Katie Vashon, a member of Phi Sigma Sigma who passed away from leukemia while a senior at Quinnipiac in 2005.  This year, the game raised about $2,000.[media-credit name=”Katie O’Brien” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Katie Vashon was from Hermon, Maine and worked in the Quinnipiac University Sports Information Department for four years.

“Katie was very involved in athletics,” said Becky Klieman, philanthropy co-chair of Phi Sigma Sigma. “The game is a great way to remember our sister.”

The annual baseball game also supports children with life threatening diseases by raising money for Camp Sunshine for the Katie Vashon Family and Friends Scholarship Fund.

“Camp Sunshine gives the normal camp experience to children with chronic diseases,” Katie’s father, Jim Vashon said. “It meant so much to Katie, and our goal as a family is to reach $100,000 which will help four families attend Camp Sunshine for free.”

The Vashon family volunteers at Camp Sunshine for one week every summer. Katie Vashon’s parents said they are grateful for the support of the Quinnipiac community.

“Every year we look forward to the game,” Jim Vashon said. “It makes it all worthwhile to support the fraternity#.”

Katie’s father threw the ceremonial first pitch of the game while the sorority sold baked goods and other food to raise money for Camp Sunshine.

“Every time we come we see more and more people involved in Katie’s Game,” Jim Vashon said. “Coming here each year brings back great memories for us.”

The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma first created the event in May 2007, two years after Katie Vashon passed away.

“I’m happy we keep the memory of Katie Vashon alive,” sophomore and Phi Sigma Sigma member Hanna Young said. “The game reminds us all that our sisters will always be there for us.”