Field hockey number one in NEC

The Bobcats field hockey team has clinched the Northeast Conference regular season title for the second straight year.
Their 4-2 victory over Siena College last Sunday also gave the Bobcats the number one seed in the league tournament that will take place next month.
Heather Hamwey, a junior defender, scored her first two collegiate goals in the contest. Senior co-captain Jackie Langenstein and sophomore forward Chelsea Osbrey each added one to keep the Bobcats ahead.
Sophomore goalie Lacey Johnson gained her first collegiate win in the game. Erin McKay entered the match in the second half and made two saves in the cage.
The conference title fulfills many expectations, both for the team and for the Bobcat fans.
Quinnipiac was ranked first in the Northeast Conference pre-season poll of the league’s head coaches.
The Bobcats easily claimed the title, with a record of 9-0 in NEC play as of Oct. 13.
Senior co-captains Courtney Ryan and Langenstein were tabbed as key factors, along with Osbrey.
Ryan claimed Player of the Week accolades for the week of Sept. 23 and Quinnipiac players claimed Rookie of the week titles for three out of five weeks.
Danielle Avenoso claimed the honor for the week of Sept. 16, Erin McKay was tops for the week of Sept. 23, and Kristen McCarthy was the most recent recipient for the week of Oct. 7.
The regular season standings as of Oct. 13 stood with the Bobcats on top followed by top rival Rider (6-4), Sacred Heart (5-4), Monmouth (4-4), Siena (4-5), UMBC (4-6) and St. Francis PA (0-9).
The Bobcats still face three NEC opponents in UMBC, St. Francis PA and Monmouth, but no team has any chance of dethroning the defending champions.
Quinnipiac will play in the Northeast Conference Championship Tournament at Monmouth from Nov. 1 through Nov. 3.