Two QU freshmen arrested on drug-related charges

Andrew Vazzano

Two Quinnipiac University students were arrested early Saturday morning after marijuana and cocaine were found in their rooms.

Mathew Scherl and Bradley Burkhard were arrested after police responded to a call at 3 a.m. on Saturday.  Police found 52 grams of marijuana, 0.7 grams of cocaine, drug paraphernalia and $680 in their room, according to Hamden Police.

Scherl, 18, was charged with sale of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana, possession of narcotics and possession of drug paraphernalia.  Scherl is being held on $25,000 bond. Scherl posted bail and attended class on Monday.

Burkhard, 20, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and was released.

Campus security originally went to the suite in the Perlroth dormitory in response to a noise complaint, according to the police report.

Both are scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 12 in Meriden.  The University does not have a comment on the fate of both students, according to John Morgan, associate vice president for public relations.

Below is the release from Hamden Police:

On January 23rd at approximately 3:00a.m. Hamden Police responded to Quinnipiac University, 275 Mt. Carmel Avenue on the report of a drug complaint.

Officers learned that Quinnipiac University Security responded to an on-campus dormitory on the complaint of a loud party. Security found a large quantity of marijuana, cocaine, drug paraphernalia and cash.

Hamden Police seized 52 grams of marijuana, .7 grams of cocaine, drug paraphernalia and $680.00.

Hamden Police arrested:

Matthew Scherl, 18, of Bayside Hills, New York. He was charged with Sale of a Controlled Substance, Possession of Marijuana, Possession of Narcotics and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Scherl, who was detained on a $25,000 bond, is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on February 12th.

Bradley Burkhard, 19, of Andover, Mass. He was charged with Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Burkhard, who was released on a Written Promise to Appear, is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on February 12th.

Officer Paul Calamita conducted the investigation.