Quinnipiac Softball team looks to finish in NEC top four

The season is winding down and the Northeast Conference Tournament is creeping closer for the Quinnipiac women’s softball team. The team’s last few games will be played in the next two weeks, which include, Manhattan, Connecticut, Robert Morris and St. Francis, (Pa.) The NEC Tournament will take place the weekend of May 3 and 4.
As of April 20, Quinnipiac is ranked seventh in the NEC, with a record of 9-7 and 18-15 overall. This includes the series sweep over Holy Cross and Wagner.
As of April 14, (not including the wins mentioned above) the softball team ranked third in team fielding with 525 put outs, 244 assists, 35 errors, and 2 double plays.
It ranked sixth in team batting with a .260 average, 114 runs scored and 184 hits. As a team it tallied 21 doubles, two triples, seven home runs, 75 walks and 127 strikeouts.
It ranked tenth in pitching with a 3.85 earned run average. In 174.2 innings QU allowed 195 hits, 110 runs, 96 earned runs, and 77 walks. It struck out 84.
Individually in the NEC, Melissa Reynolds ranked fourth in saves.
Sarah Collins ranked seventh in slugging percentage with .525. With 80 at bats she had 27 hits, five doubles, one triple and three home runs. Collins also ranked tenth in the league in RBI’s with 25.
Jill Cimminello ranked eighth in batting the league with a .337 average. Cimminello had an on base percentage of .394 and a slugging percentage of .407. In 86 at bats, she had 29 hits, 18 runs, four doubles, one triple, and zero home runs (she had her first homerun of the season Thursday at Holy Cross). Cimminello had 13 runs batted in, with eight walks and she struck out nine times.
As of April 19, amongst the team, Cimminello led in batting average with .340. Collins trailed her with an average of .314, and coming up third for the team was Courtney O’Neil with .310.
Cimminello, in 32 hits, scored 20 runs, including one home run. She tied with Collins in doubles and triples with five and three respectively. Collins, in 27 hits, scored 13 runs, including three home runs. O’Neil, in 22 hits, had two doubles and scored 11 runs.
Collins led the team with an over .500 slugging percentage, Cimminello trailed her with .447 and Jessica Petri came in third with .431. In runs batted in Collins lead with 25, Cimminello had 13, Elizabeth Moriarty had 14 while O’Neil and Ashely Morgan tied at 10 each.
Cimminello led the team in on base percentage with .392, O’Neil and Moriarty tied at .367, and Collins had .362.
Alisha Zabel led the team pitching with a record of 6-5 and a 3.79 earned run average. In 73.2 innings pitched, she allowed 71 hits, 38 runs including 31 earned runs and one home run, she walked 23, and struck out 36. Reynolds trails her with a record of 5-7 and a 3.96 ERA. In 75 IP, she allowed 73 hits, 38 runs including 33 ER’s and eight HR, she walked 22 and struck out 45. O’Neil had a record of 3-2 and a 7.08 ERA. In 34.1 IP she allowed 47 hits, 29 runs including 27 ER and six HR, she walked eight and struck out 13.
Sara Blumenthal, Stephanie Boyer, Renee Escaravage, Elizabeth Euley, and Leah Nankin all had a fielding percentage of 1.000.
Moriarty with 228, led the team in put outs. Cimminello came up with 89 and Lauren Fries rounded out third with 67.
Collins led the team in assists with 75, Fries was second with 59 and Callie Bundy finished third with 45.
With the completion of the season, Quinnipiac hopes to finish in the top four NEC spots in order to guarantee them a spot in the tournament. The teams have won four straight games as of April 20.
As of April 14, Long Island University held the top seed with a perfect conference record of 16-0. UMBC trailed at 15-3 followed by Robert Morris at 10-4.