QU Men’s Hockey Falls 6-1 to Cornell in NCAA tournament

The Quinnipiac Men’s Hockey team had a rude awakening March 23, when only 3:30 into their first NCAA tournament game they were already down 2-0 to Cornell. Quinnipiac earned the chance to play in their first NCAA Division I East Regional game after defeating Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst for the MAAC Conference Champtionship.
After sophomore Justin Eddy replaced QU’s freshman goaltender Jamie Holden, Cornell managed to scored two more goals before the game went to its first intermission.
With the 6-1 victory Cornell advanced to the national quarterfinals where they met with the number one seeded University of New Hampshire.
In the second period QU fared better, letting Cornell add only one goal on a power play, but shortly into the third period Cornell scored their sixth and final goal of the game shorthanded.
With just under five minutes to go in the game Quinnipiac sophomore Ryan Morton, scored QUs only goal of the game, and his 18th goal of the season, spoiling Cornell goaltender Matt Underhills shutout.
The game, in Worcester, Mass. hosted the largest crowd (10,545) to ever attend a first round NCAA East Regional game.
The Quinnipiac men managed to get off only 14 shots, and Eddy finished with 28 saves. Quinnipiac finished their season 20-13-1 making it the fourth consecutive season the team has claimed a 20-win season, something only four other schools have accomplished.