Rutty leads 50-point second half in win over CCSU [Slideshow]

Photo credit: Andrew Vazzano

A 50-point outburst in the second half by the Quinnipiac men’s basketball team led the Bobcats past the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils 75-62 at the TD Bank Sports Center on Sunday.

The Bobcats extended their perfect record at home to 8-0 and it was also their seventh consecutive win overall. Now at 7-1 in Northeast Conference play, the Bobcats held their spot atop the standings, keeping pace with Robert Morris, who beat Monmouth on Saturday.

Junior forward Justin Rutty played a big role in the second half comeback with his 26-point, 14-rebound performance. Rutty converted on 13 of the 16 shots he took, including eight of nine in the second half.

“Justin was making everything today, I knew he was ready to step up for us because he had a dominant week of practice,” said Quinnipiac head coach Tom Moore after the game.

Trailing by three at halftime, the Bobcats came out in the second half and quickly went on an 11-0 run sparked by two key charges drawn by James Johnson and Rutty.

Ninety seconds into the half, Central Connecticut head coach Howie Dickenman called a quick timeout, but the Bobcats didn’t lose any of their momentum.

“[Quinnipiac] was simply too fast and too quick for us today,” Dickenman said. “In my opinion right now they are the best overall team in the league.”

Quinnipiac begins its three-game road trip this Thursday against Wagner at 7 p.m at the Spiro Sports Center in Staten Island, N.Y.