Athlete Profile: Rob Monroe

Remember this name, Rob Monroe. This freshman point guard has made a statement in his inaugural season for the Quinnipiac Men’s Basketball team.
Already a three time Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week, Monroe is helping QU to reach the NEC conference tournament for the first time.
The 5’10” point guard, from Maryland, played high school basketball at Montrose Christian (Berkshire School, MA). He is the only player in the NEC to be given the rookie of the week honor three times. His most recent for the week of Feb. 18.
In two wins, he averaged 15.5 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 1.5 steals.
The transition from high school ball to Division I can be a challenge for some athletes.
However, Monroe has made it look as easy as the five three pointers he drained on Feb. 22 helping in Quinnipiac’s 93-73 win over Robert Morris.
“Hard work and a lot of conditioning has helped me out,” Monroe said. He noted that the college game is much quicker and the longer season can be an obstacle in itself.
The point guards position may be the most critical spot on the floor. Any good team has a strong point guard who can bring the ball up, keep turnovers down and make his teammates better players. Monroe said the thoughts going through his head as he dribbles up court are to “make the right decision” and look for a pass before a shot.
The value of Monroe’s skill have already been seen in his first year. Senior point guard Jared Grasso has been fighting through a season of injuries. Monroe has stepped up to the challenge and kept the team rolling in the right direction.
The next three years for the Quinnipiac men’s basketball program look bright. With a strong core of young players and solid recruits coming in, “the sky’s the limit” as Monroe put it.
He feels the departure of senior captains, Bill Romano and Grasso, will hurt in the team in terms of leadership and experience. Adding another skilled big man in the next couple years should compliment Monroe and sophomore Kason Mims.
As of now, when you mention Connecticut and basketball, the only response you get is “UConn.” Monroe’s goal for Quinnipiac is to “put the team on the map.” Along with being on a winning team, Monroe just wants to “be the player I can be.” So far he’s off to a good start and with the hard work, dedication and desire he is portraying, “the sky is the limit” indeed for him and his team.