Women’s Basketball: Bobcats finish on winning end of gritty game

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team won a gritty and rough game against a struggling Central Connecticut State team, 56-45 today.

In a game with 42 total turnovers by the two teams, Jacinda Dunbar led the Bobcats with 12 points and seven rebounds to go along with her three blocks. Senior Courtney Kaminski also had a strong outing, even though she was limited to 22 minutes due to foul trouble. Kaminski finished with 10 points and 11 rebounds, but she also contributed six turnovers to the team’s total of 22.

Head coach Tricia Fabbri was ecstatic about her depleted squad’s win.

“I can’t say enough about our effort and how we came ready to play tonight,” Fabbri said. “What a great group of girls to be around and go to battle with. We are a team in every sense of the word. I couldn’t be more proud to be with these kids. They give you everything they’ve got.”

The Bobcats were carried by their starters, who scored 44 of the team’s 56 points. Three starters, Kaminski, Dunbar, and Lailah Pratt were in the double figures for points.

Quinnipiac started the game slow, but thanks to an even slower start from the Blue Devils, they were able to establish a commanding lead after the first half. Turnovers proved to be a significant factor early, with both teams having four turnovers in the first five minutes.

Central Connecticut had a rough opening to the game, only managing to score 12 points in the first half while shooting only 10% and giving the ball away 11 times.

The second half of the game was a lot more competitive, with Central Connecticut outscoring the Bobcats 33-29. This was due to 14 fouls committed by the Bobcats along with their 12 turnovers in the half. Fabbri attributed this to the aggressive play of her squad.

“We need to be a little more calm and composed, but we continue to find ways to win,” Fabbri said. “We’re playing with a chip on our shoulder and playing very scrappy. We’re going to continue to win with rebounding and defense.”

The Bobcats return to action this Saturday at Bryant University at 1 p.m.