Men’s Basketball: Dartmouth outmatched by Bobcats

It wasn’t a matter of if, but when the Quinnipiac men’s basketball team would take over its game against Dartmouth last night.

That question was answered when the Bobcats opened up the second half with a 10-0 run, extending their lead 47-21.

Missed free throws by the Bobcats in the first half kept Dartmouth in the game. However, Quinnipiac head coach Tom Moore put a full court press on toward the end of the half which proved to be too much for Dartmouth to handle. Quinnipiac guard Steve Robinson forced a turnover, which led to a last second field goal from junior guard Deontay Twyman to give the Bobcats the momentum heading into the locker room.

“Being up 13 at halftime is fine, but we were really focused in the locker room at halftime on trying to extend the lead, rather than have them come back, get it to five or six, and make it more of a tedious fight the rest of the way,” Moore said.

Senior guard James Feldeine led Quinnipiac in scoring for the sixth time this year with 16 points. Junior forward Justin Rutty added a double-double, with 12 points and 14 rebounds.

The Bobcats out-rebounded Dartmouth at an alarming rate, 42-22, 14 of which were on the offensive end for the Bobcats.

The Bobcats took advantage of Dartmouth’s lack of physicality by scoring 46 of their 73 points in the paint.

Despite the win, there is still room for improvement after more struggles from the free throw line. The Bobcats shot 12-for-20 from the line; a mark that Moore believes will improve.

Dartmouth drops to 2-10, while Quinnipiac improves to 6-5 and will travel to Monmouth on Jan. 2 to play its first of three straight conference games.