NAACP chapter planned for next year

As Quinnipiac works to prevent prejudice and incidents of racial and ethnic that have plagued the campus for consecutive years, a chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) will be formed this coming year as a new student organization.

The Black Student Union (BSU) was approached by the administration and asked if it would be interested in seeing a chapter of NAACP on campus.

With a 100-year history and more than 400,000 members, the NAACP is one of America’s most influential civil rights organizations. The NAACP’s storied history is one which helped bring about equal rights for Americans of all races and ethnicities.

“Having a chapter of the NAACP should benefit the entire student body,” said Xavier Bishop, vice president of BSU. “I am hopeful that it will help educate the campus community on important issues.”

The chapter will be open to students of all races and ethnicities.

“Having the NAACP chapter here on campus will strengthen our community immensely,” said Jameson Cherilus, sophomore class president and a member of the BSU. “In my opinion, if this chapter is established, then the administrators over in Academic Affairs are well on their way to creating an intellectual community here on campus.

“The objectives of this organization actually mirrors the specific goals outlined in the New Synthesis Project. Thus, I am challenging both my peers and the administration to invest in what we preach and make Quinnipiac University a more inclusive community.”