Women’s Ice Hockey: Bobcats wrap weekend with two ties

Down two goals with under a minute to play to No. 7 Cornell, the Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team was facing its second winless weekend of the season last night at the TD Bank Sports Center. Instead, Heather Hughes and Janine Duffy scored eight seconds apart in the final 30 seconds of the third period to tie the game.

Hughes got the scoring started five minutes into the first period. She stole a pass from the Cornell goalie and fired the puck into an empty net. Cornell would tie the game a little over two minutes later when a tipped shot would get past Victoria Vigilanti.

Cornell scored twice in the second period to go up 3-1. And in the third, Hughes and Duffy performed their heroics in the final minute.

Hughes scored her second goal of the game with 29 seconds left in the game. It was her second multi-goal game of the year. Duffy’s shot hit the goalie’s shoulder and bounced into the net to tie the game.

On Friday, Melissa Perry’s first career goal provided the only offense for the Bobcats in a 1-1 tie with the Colgate Raiders.

Perry scored midway through the third period. After stealing the puck behind the Raiders net, she made a move around a defender and put the puck in the back of net off a defender’s skate. The goal gave the Bobcats a 1-0 lead.

But the Bobcats couldn’t hold the lead. The Raiders tied the score with 2:30 left in the period. A redirected shot landed on the stick of the Raider’s Brittany Philips who beat Vigilanti to tie the score at 1.

The game was a battle of the goaltenders as both Vigilanti and the Raiders’ Kimberly Sass keep the offenses at bay, stopping 28 and 23 shots respectively.

The Bobcats return to the ice Friday when they face the University of Connecticut in the first game of the Nutmeg Classic Tournament at Yale.