Quinnipiac women’s basketball clinches playoff berth

Three Quinnipiac players scored in double figures to help the Bobcats clinch a playoff berth, as Quinnipiac beat Central Connecticut State, 58-49, at the TD Bank Sports Center Wednesday night.

Quinnipiac’s bench outscored the Blue Devils’ bench 27-7. Freshman Jasmine Martin contributed 15 of the 27 for Quinnipiac (19-6, 11-3 Northeast Conference), which won its ninth game out of 11.

“That’s been our success all season long,” Quinnipiac head coach Tricia Fabbri said. “It was really great to see the girls who closed out the game not be our starters.”

With 7:34 left in the first half, the Bobcats trailed the Blue Devils (11-14, 5-9 NEC) 16-12. Quinnipiac went on a 14-10 run to take a 30-22 lead into the half.

With 9:36 left in the second half, Central Connecticut State only trailed Quinnipiac by three, 40-37, but the Bobcats closed the game out on an 18-10 run to hold on for the victory.

The Bobcats also beat CCSU 64-59 last Saturday.

“I think when you see a team back to back, obviously you’re very familiar with them,” Fabbri said.

Quinnipiac, who is just the second team to clinch a playoff spot so far, will go on the road to face NEC rival LIU-Brooklyn on Sat. at 2 p.m. The Blackbirds, who beat Quinnipiac in January, are tied in fourth place in the conference, but have a 19-7 overall record.

The Bobcats outscored the Blue Devils in the paint 30-22 and scored 11 second-chance points.

“We patten ourselves on rebounding, especially offensive rebounding,” forward Brittany McQuain said. “We don’t let up on the boards at all.”

On her birthday, McQuain almost had a double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds.

“I think she’s probably the player in America that’s close to a double-double every game,” Fabbri said.

Blue Devils junior Jaclyn Babe had a team high 15 points, but committed seven of the teams 22 total turnovers.