SGA Briefs

The Quinnipiac Student Government Association held its fifth weekly meeting of the year last Wednesday, Oct. 10, in SC 207.

Faculty Senate Report

– The School of Education proposed to add a new 30-credit online master’s program in Teaching Leadership.

– Starting in January 2011, there will be a new winter term that lasts for three weeks in January. Students will be allowed to take a maximum of four credits for the term and will be living at the York Hill campus. Logistics are still being worked out for when and where classes will be held. First summer term will start immediately after commencement.

QU Seminars Advisory Committee

– QU Forum on Oct. 29 to be held 7-8:30 p.m. Open to all faculty members and students who may have questions, comments and concerns about the QU seminars.

Finance Report

– Leftover money from Special Appeals carries over to the end of this month for October Special Appeals.

Public Relations

– Saturday, April 10, is the date set for an unannounced “service event.”

Class Reports

2010 – Working on getting funding so students can attend two separate Safe Rides conferences.

2011 – New senior housing info sent to parents.
– Extra study day may be put on hold due to J-term plans.

2012 – Midterm Madness was held Sunday, Oct. 11.

2013 – Freshman dance will be held in mid-November. Theme and location for the dance will be be decided this week.

Election Committee Motions

Ali Tetla – Motion sent to accept Election Committee’s recommendation to remove grammatical errors throughout Student Election Policy. – PASSED

Lindsey Burroughs – Motion sent to accept Election Committee’s recommendation to change qualifications for elections. If member of any standing committee for three full semesters, with the exception of Student Programming Board, has served on that committee, that member can run for SGA President, VP of Student Concerns, VP of Finance or VP of Public Relations. If member is of Student Programming Board three full semesters as an active member, he/she is eligible to run for VP of Programming. – PASSED

Tracy Diamond – Motion sent to confirm students running for elected office cannot hang more than one sign in the cafeteria and Bobcat Den while hanging a maximum of 10 in the Student Center. – PASSED

Matt Hudak – Motion sent to confirm all forms of communications are legal to campaign for election except QU networking tools including e-mail and Blackboard. – PASSED

Matt Galo – Motion sent to propose that representatives of student organizations must attend SGA general meetings to answer questions in order for the organization to receive money it appealed for. – DID NOT PASS

Nick Rossetti – Motion to create ad hoc committee for purpose of working with administration to draft a Declaration of Student Rights for Quinnipiac. The proposed committee would consist of five SGA members and five general students. The discussion would go on for two months after passage. – TABLED UNTIL WEDNESDAY

Announcement:

Jennifer Crowley was announced as September SGA Member of the Month.