Third Eye Blind concert sells out

The San Francisco-based band Third Eye Blind is set to make a splash at the TD Bank Sports Center in a completely sold out show on Saturday, Oct. 10 at 8 p.m., with local band Great Caesar and indie pop rock band Hot Chelle Rae opening for the group.

The multi-platinum-selling Third Eye Blind has released four studio albums and boasts a series of chart-topping hits, including “Semi-Charmed Life,” “How’s It Going to Be,” “Jumper” and “Never Let You Go.”

Organized by Megan Doyle, mainstage chair of the Student Programming Board (SPB), and the rest of the committee, the sold-out show is icing on the cake to an event that normally takes quite a bit of time to sell all of the tickets.

“I would say that SPB is thoroughly pleased,” said Assistant Director of the Student Center John Stinchon. “This is the first concert that I’ve known to physically sell out.”

Stinchon believes that a mix of talent and change of genre ignited Quinnipiac students to buy tickets to the concert.

“I think the campus may have been getting tired of R&B and hip-hop,” he said. “We felt the campus needed a rock type of show.”

Freshman Kevin DiStefano is attending his first concert at Quinnipiac this semester.

“I think [Third Eye Blind] is a solid choice, but I would have preferred a hip-hop artist,” he said.

However, during the previous three semesters, R&B and hip-hop artists have bombarded campus, including Ashanti, as well as Ludacris last spring and T-Pain in spring of 2008.

Freshman Eliza Dox has never been to a concert before, so Third Eye Blind will be her first.

“I am so excited to go to my first concert, especially with my suitemates,” she said.

Unfortunately for some, tickets went so rapidly that students were unable to pick them up on time.

“I really wanted to see Third Eye Blind, but my classes conflicted with the times they were being sold,” freshman Cassie McGovern said. “The lines were so long, I didn’t have time to wait.”

Presently, the ticketing system allows for students to acquire their tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis where they are permitted to purchase tickets for themselves and one guest. However, this way of selling tickets effectively eliminates the opportunity for strictly Quinnipiac students to attend.

“In the past students were not allowed to bring guests. It only changed two years ago,” Stinchon said.

Student apathy is one reason that guests are now allowed to attend concerts. There is the belief that tickets will be available and can be purchased at any time. As evidenced by the swift movement of sales for Third Eye Blind, students can no longer take a lackadaisical approach in obtaining their tickets.

Sophomore Kyle Runfola is one of those apathetic students.

“I don’t have a ticket because I procrastinated,” Runfola said. “I just never get the early bird special.”

If enough students raise an issue about the way tickets are sold, Stinchon trusts an alternative solution could be raised by the committee.

“We don’t put the show on for the guests,” he said. “If there were enough concerns brought up, SPB could definitely look into [selling tickets differently].”

Tickets were only sold on the Mount Carmel campus, though once completed, the student center at York Hill will be another place for students to buy. According to Stinchon, space and concerns with security disallowed the sale of tickets at York Hill this semester.

Stinchon is confident and excited about the concert.

“I think it is exciting to sell out TD Bank,” Stinchon said. “I know the mainstage committee has worked really hard to making this as seamless show as [possible].”