Leggings wearing out welcome

Over the past few years, a new fashion statement has taken America by storm: leggings, or spandex, as some people call them. Walking around Quinnipiac’s campus, whether it’s a sunny or rainy day, you’re bound to see at least one or two girls sporting a pair. I even have a few pairs of leggings myself, in all the appropriate neutral colors: white, black, and I hope to get some brown ones soon. I personally adore the legging look, but as of recently, something about them has really been irritating me.

Since when do leggings constitute as pants? All of a sudden I’ve seen an outburst of girls wearing leggings as if they were regular pants. The general rule with leggings is this: they should be worn under a dress or a longer shirt, and said dress or shirt should at least cover your butt. Sometimes you can get away with a shirt that doesn’t quite hit the desired length, but even that is a bit on the risqué side. Girls are blatantly ignoring this unspoken rule, wearing regular T-shirts or sweatshirts with leggings. Let me tell you, it’s not a pretty sight. As most people know, leggings are skin tight and don’t leave much to the imagination. Depending on what brand you get, some of them can also be rather transparent in the right light. That’s why they’re meant to be worn under something longer; they’re particularly tight in all the wrong places. I’m sure guys don’t mind this uprising trend, but as a girl, I really don’t have the desire to see every line and contour of another girl’s butt.

It’s a different story when you’re lounging around your dorm room with your friends doing homework. It’s okay to throw on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt to relax in – they are very comfortable. But to go out in public like that? Whose bright idea was that? Just a few months ago, if a girl would go out wearing leggings with a shirt that didn’t go down past her butt, she received weird looks and snooty remarks. But now all of a sudden it’s OK? No, it really isn’t.

So please, girls, next time you’re in the mood to throw on a pair of leggings, check to make sure everything is dutifully covered in all the right areas. If not, think to yourself, “Do I really want to expose myself for the entire Quinnipiac campus to see?”