Bobcat track races for New England Championship in Boston

Both Quinnipiac Bobcat track teams headed to Boston University to race against 31 other schools. The men and women were both looking to improve their sixth and seventh place finishes at the NEC Championships, respectively. Both teams only competed in two individual and two relay events, so they were not expecting much in the team standings.

Men’s track races in individuals:

The Quinnipiac University men’s indoor track team ran the first day at the New England Championships at Boston University. Freshman Richard Klauber was the only runner competing Friday as he posted 15:03 in the 5000-meter race. It was Klauber’s second-best time in the event, and it was good for an 11th place finish of more than 30 runners competing.

Meanwhile, the Distance Medley Relay Team finished 10th of 24 teams crossing in at 10:20. Freshman John Healy ran the 1200-meter portion in a split time of 3:10, while senior Jack McDonald ran the 1600 meters in 4:19. Senior Steve Pilch ran the 400-meter race in 51.9 and junior Brendan Amoruso had a split time of 1:58 in the 800-meter portion of the race.

The second day of competition finished with just two races. Freshman John Beckshaw ran the 3000 meters in the Bobcats’ only individual race of the day. He finished out of the scoring with a time of 9:09.70. Senior Jack McDonald, senior Steve Pilch, Chris Foster and freshman Sean Ramsey comprised Quinnipiac’s 4×800-meter relay team, which posted a season best time by more than 21 seconds at 7:53.83. The previous season high was 8:14. Ramsey broke the two-minute split time mark, which was the first in his career, at 1:56.

Next competition: ECAC Championships at Boston University 3/6-3/7, 11:00 start time Friday

A weekend of milestones:

The Quinnipiac University women’s indoor track team ran the first day at the New England Championships at Boston University. Senior Abbey Gosling shined for the Bobcats, posting a personal-best time of 17:56 in the championship heat of the 5000-meter race. It was the first time she had ever broken the 18-minute mark in the event in her career. Junior Lindsay Pierret finished in second place in the unseeded heat of the 5000 meters. She crossed the line in a season-best time of 18:28. Senior Sasha Varanka also posted a season-best time in the same event, with a time of 18:53.

The second day of competition finished off on Saturday. Freshman Morgan Roche earned All-New England honors with her seventh-place finish in the mile with a time of 5:01.23. It was her personal-best; however, she was two-hundredths of a second shy of qualifying for the ECAC Championships next weekend. Senior Kristen Stevens finished in 13th place overall in the mile race. She posted a time of 5:09.57.

In the unseeded heat of the 3000 meters, freshman Kaitlin Kelly crossed in 10:35.00, which was good for 21st overall and her personal best score.

In the seeded heat of the same event, freshman Katie Beam crossed in at 10:30.71. The 4×400 meter relay team, consisted of Alex Jacob, Amanda Duggan, Hannah Donaldio and Jeanna Favat, finished in 4:19.82.

Next Competition: ECAC Championships at Boston University 3/6-3/7, 11:00 start time Friday