With SGA and SPB, The Price is Right

That theme song that everybody knows amped up Saturday night’s crowd of about 100 students in Buckman Theater.

Student Government Association and Student Programming Board teamed up to create the sophomore-hosted event, “The Price is Right: QU Edition.” It consisted of games inspired by the daytime show and prizes like gift certificates to Gold Star Chinese and T.G.I. Friday’s.

Questions like “How much diesel gas goes into a Dattco shuttle” and “How much did the Bobcat statue cost” were asked in order for one of the four contestants to play the solo round to win prizes.

“We had to adjust the game a little bit from the TV version because they are usually guessing prices of cars and vacations and we obviously can’t give that away,” said Julianne Gardner, a senior and SPB novelties and weeks chair who helped organized the event. “So that’s why we went to the videos and made it more Quinnipiac themed.”

Freshman Joe Kohle, a film, video and interactive media major, had to guess which price belonged to what food item, which gave him an opportunity to hit a golf ball into the hole to win a prize.

“It was a good time,” Kohle said. “The questions were pretty difficult.”

When asked about the atmosphere, Kohle said the lights shining down on stage made it a bit nerve-wracking.

Mr. QU, senior Travis Moran, played the role of Drew Carey while seniors Neil Brown and Brad DePrima acted as his comedic assistants.

“It’s an interesting combination between SGA and SPB because SPB is more of the games aspect,” said Lauren Yaconis, a sophomore class representative for SGA.

SGA has to hold one event per semester, according to Yaconis and with this event they decided to “go big or go home.”

“My committee took on replicating all the games,” Gardner said. “We had to do a lot of research on the Price is Right, what would look the easiest and what would look the best.”

Yaconis and Gardner expressed thanks to everyone who contributed to the success of the event, including the Quinnipiac Film Society.