Unspectacular break for women’s hoops

Women’s basketball finished up winter break with a mixed week. The Bobcats lost to the Monmouth Hawks 60-48, but beat the Robert Morris Colonials 51-49. Quinnipiac stands at 10-5 overall and 4-2 in conference play.
This past Sunday, the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team traveled to West Long Branch, N.J., to take on Monmouth. The Bobcats got off to a rough start, turning over the ball often and shooting 18-51 from the floor. The 48 points the Bobcats scored was its lowest scoring effort of the season.

Erin Kerner led the Bobcats with 20 points, two assists and two steals. Mandy Pennewell had a good performance, adding 10 points and three rebounds in the loss.

On Jan. 12, the Bobcats took on Robert Morris at the TD Banknorth Sports Center, defeating the Colonials, 51-49. With the game tied at 49 and eight seconds left in regulation, freshman Jacinda Dunbar scored the game-winning lay-up, securing the victory for the Bobcats. In addition, Dunbar had a career day. She scored a career-high 15 points and recorded 13 rebounds. The double-double was the first of her career.

Two other Bobcats had big games, contributing heavily in the win. Mandy Pennewell scored 21 points in the win, while Erin Kerner added 10 points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals.

Winter break notes:
Over the course of winter break, the Bobcats went 3-4, only winning their home games. Kerner scored 35 points in a road loss to Yale on Dec. 21, the most points a Bobcat has scored in a game this season, earning her the Choice Hotels/NEC Player of the Week honors. In the beginning weeks of December, the Bobcats received a vote in the USA Today/ESPN/WBCA Division I Top 25 Coaches’ Poll in two consecutive weeks. This was the first time in the history of Quinnipiac’s Division I program that the Bobcats have achieved this feat.