Brito receives national nod

After a four-year career laden with accolades, senior forward Graciano Brito was recently named as one of the top 10 forwards in college soccer by ESPN Soccernet.

He was also one of 65 Division I soccer seniors invited to participate in the 2009 Adidas Major League Soccer Combine in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., from Jan. 9-13 . He will be joining eight other semifinalists to compete for the 2008 Hermann Trophy, which is college soccer’s equivalent to college football’s Heisman Trophy.

Brito led the Northeast Conference in goals (18) and points (39), setting Quinnipiac’s goals scored and points in a season Division 1 record, set seven years ago by Evan Maciel. In addition to leading the conference in multiple categories and setting a school record, Brito led the nation in goals-per-game (1.00) and points-per-game (2.17). His play this season earned him four Brine/NEC Player of the Week honors, and at season’s end, received the 2008 NEC Player of the Year honors.

Brito, along with three of his Bobcat teammates, was selected to the NSCAA North Atlantic Regional Team. In addition, he was chosen as a NSCAA/Adidas Third-team Division I All-American.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for Graciano and yet another sign of how far our program has come,” head coach Eric Da Costa said on quinnipiacbobcats.com. “It is great to see the players in our program receiving recognition for being amongst the nation’s very best.”