Quinnipiac field hockey shuts down Bryant, 2-0

Photo by Lesly Alvarez/Chronicle
Photo by Lesly Alvarez/Chronicle
Photo by Lesly Alvarez/Chronicle

The Quinnipiac field hockey team’s defense stole the spotlight Sunday, allowing only three shots on goal all game as the Bobcats took the match against Bryant, 2-0.

“Bryant plays a packed style, a zone style,” Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main Kohli said. “So far us it was a matter of going around them. I was pleased we were able to keep the pressure and stay on our side of the fifty for the majority of the game.”

The Bobcats (10-7, 4-2 NEC) defense started off strong, allowing only two shots throughout the first 35 minutes. Meanwhile, on the offensive side of the ball, freshman Danielle Allen nailed a goal to the back of the cage in the 19th minute for her fifth goal of the season.

Cunniff added another goal and assist on the afternoon giving her a total of 12 on the season with one game remaining.

“What she has done for us, the level that she has taken us, and the trust we have in her has just been fantastic, and you saw that with her goal and assist,” Main Kohli said.

Bryant (7-10, 1-5) came out fighting in the second half, registering a number of corners, however, none of them proved successful as Quinnipiac walked away with the 2-0 win.

“You play Sacred Heart, it’s like a little bit of a rivalry. For us, we have to remember emotion is important in how a game is played like that… we’re going to have to learn how to move our shots around and be a little more dynamic in front of the cage,” Main Kohli said.

Seniors Kimberly Cunniff, Ashley Gradwell, Maria Malonski, Megan McCreedy and Kaitlyn Notarianni were honored prior the game Sunday afternoon. The five players were presented with flowers and met with their respective families on the field.

Quinnipiac squares off in its last regular season game next Friday at home against state rival, Sacred Heart at 3:30 p.m.