Quinnipiac women’s golf finishes 19th at Rutgers Invite

The Quinnipiac women’s golf team came in last out of 19 teams that featured a strong contingent of some of the best teams in the Northeast. The Bobcats posted a two-day total of 736 (+ 160) at the Rutgers Women’s Golf Invitational in Piscataway, N.J.

With tough conditions on the Rutgers University course, including wet greens and thick rough from a previous rainfall, the Bobcats carded a 367 on the first day. Junior Kayla Ketcheson managed to lead the Bobcats with an 88 on the first day of play. Three Bobcats posted scores of 93, while Nicole Ferretti finished with a score of 111. After the first day, the Bobcats trailed the Scarlet Knights by 64 strokes.

“We had a very difficult day today. We weren’t able to get a putt to drop or a bounce to go our way,” Quinnipiac head coach John O’Connor said. “The course was extremely wet after last night’s thunderstorms and the team had a tough time adjusting and making good contact.”

Ketcheson fired a program-record 80 in the second round, tying a career-best. Ketcheson finished the two-day tournament tied for 57th with a two-day total of 168 (+24). Hannah Russell fired a 181 (+37). Jennifer Forlzena and Amanda Nagel placed in 94th and 95th overall with scores of 192 and 199, respectively. Nicole Ferretti rounded out the field at 213 (+69)

“The team played better today, but fell short of overtaking any of the competition,” O’Connor said. “We are competing against the best NCAA Division I teams in the Northeast, with established programs and years of recruiting with the best golfers available. We are making progress and will continue to get better. We have wonderful practice facilities and it’s just a matter of time before the team breaks out. We will continue to work hard and I know these athletes will show how good they can be.”
The Boston College Eagles posted a 616 to win the invitational, marking the Eagles’ third victory in Piscataway in the past four years. Boston College also won the event in 2008 and 2009. Rutgers came in second place with 618, followed by St. John’s with 630.
Sacred Heart posted the lowest round out of the competing Northeast Conference teams, coming in eighth place with a total of 644, followed by Fairleigh Dickinson with a 649 and Monmouth’s 653. Rutgers’ Kortnie Maxoutopouli carded two 75’s for a total of 150 (+6) to capture the individual title.