Women’s tennis overcome rain in Day 1 of Eastern Championships

Despite severe rain showers, an adopted scoring system and having to move play indoors, the Quinnipiac women’s tennis team remained in the hunt.

Juniors Rachel Cantor and Sarah Viebrock both advanced in their respective singles’ flights on Day 1 of the Eastern Championships hosted by the United States Military Academy.

The tournament started play outdoors but officials moved matched inside where pro set scoring was used. Instead of the best-of-three set format, opponents played one set and the first to win eight games won the match.

Cantor began play outdoors and dispatched Hofstra’s Bianca Derrick (6-3, 6-1) to advance to the round of 16 in the Singles “B” flight. Her next opponent, Pittsburgh’s Gabrielle Catanzariti received a first-round bye, but lost to Cantor (8-1) who advanced to the quarterfinals. Cantor moves on to play Stony Brook’s Prerena Appineni.

Viebrock began play already advancing into the round of 16 via first-round bye and defeated Fairleigh Dickinson’s Egzona Morina (8-6) in a closely fought match throughout. She will face UConn’s Marie Gargiulo in the quarterfinals of the Singles “C” flight.

The freshman pairing of Michelle Dassa and Jacqueline Raynor advanced into the Doubles “A” flight quarterfinals besting Sacred Heart’s Delaney Downing and Maggie Tooley (8-1). The two will face Pitt’s Kimmy Borza and Molly Wickman in Saturday’s quarterfinal action.

Another Bobcat freshman, Ariana Launie defeated Hofstra’s Paige Polizois in the first round of the Singles “D” flight (6-2, 6-1) before falling to Bryant’s Marcela Brandao (9-7) in the round of 16.

The doubles teams of Morgan Crystal and Morgan Massey as well as Lavinia Cristescu and Erin Suvar each went out in the first round of the Doubles “B” flight on Friday and will begin play in the consolation round on Saturday.