Quinnipiac Fall 2011 All-Fantasy Team

It’s that time of year again. That’s right … it’s time to talk Quinnipiac fall sports, fantasy style.

The Chronicle has had major success with fantasy sports over the past year, so it’s really just my job at this point not to screw things up.

For this year’s fall edition of fantasy sports, there are a lot of repeat names from last year.

Now, just because we have a few similar ranks, we expect the stats to be even better, and I don’t think it’s out of the question that this could be our deepest fantasy lineup yet.

Last season we based rankings off of what players accomplished the previous season, but I decided to alter the rankings a little this year based on what has taken place so far on the field as well as my gut feelings, and trust me, there are a lot of feelings down there after this weekend.

Well anyways, sit back, enjoy, and get ready to watch our fantasy superstars dominate this fall.

Velaj

1. Furtuna Velaj

women’s soccer

Velaj has been dominating the headlines ever since she came to Quinnipiac. Recently featured in another article on ESPN, she is the best fantasy athlete we have ever had here at Quinnipiac.

She already has four points on a goal and two assists this season and is on the cusp of overtaking Alex Morgan as America’s favorite soccer player.

2. Philip Suprise

men’s soccer

Suprise

Suprise had a slow start last season due to an injury, but as a junior he is going to be a man amongst boys in the Northeast Conference.

The past two years Suprise has led the team in goals. With one goal and two assists this season, he leads the team with four points. Suprise retains the same fantasy ranking as last season, but let’s face it, the sky is the limit for this number two pick.

Lawler

3. Kayla Lawler

Volleyball

Lawler, the number seven pick last year, had a monster season for the Bobcats racking up 229 assists, what? She was also named team MVP. Lawler has played in every match since coming to Quinnipiac.

This year Lawler moves up to number three with her sights set on having a monster senior season with that “team-first attitude” I loved so much about her going into last season.

4. Kaitlyn Notarianni

Field Hockey

Notarianni

Notarianni only moves up one spot from her ranking last season. Last year, she was more of a sleeper, whereas this year she is a sure thing.

Anyone who drafted Notarianni last year was rewarded greatly, and will continue to be rewarded this season. She already has three goals and two assists for the Bobcats, don’t be surprised if she winds up with 10 goals this season.

5. Kelby Carey

Volleyball

Another volleyball superstar that cracked my top ten last year. Just like her teammate Kayla Lawler, Carey is looking to have a huge senior season in search of that NEC playoff birth they were so close to getting last season. MVP of the team as a sophomore, Carey and Lawler will make each other better all season, and when volleyball is heading into the playoffs, don’t say I didn’t tell you so.

6. Kim Cunniff

Field Hockey

Cunniff has ranked high in fantasy for one stat alone, the amount of shots she takes. Already with 23 this year, Cunniff is bound to put up serious numbers with that many opportunities. Cunniff has three goals and an assists already this season, and will battle with Notarianni all season for the team lead in goals.

7. Jess Rusin

Field Hockey

Rusin has come out firing in her sophomore season, racking up a team-high four goals and an assists. Only starting in five games last year, Rusin scored four times, including a goal in the NEC semi-finals. Ranked seventh this year, Rusin is already on her way to the top of the fantasy world.

8. Durval Pereira

Men’s Soccer

LeBron James has Dwayne Wade and Durval Pereira has Philip Suprise. The two-headed monster featured by the Bobcats should put up huge stats this season, making Pereira a low-risk, high-reward pick in this year’s draft.

9. Nils von der Heide

Men’s Soccer

You can never trust a person that has three names, but four of them? That’s got fantasy superstar written all over it. Von der Heide has a goal and an assist to start his freshman season off, and looks like he will be fantasy rookie of the year.

10. Shauna Edwards

Women’s Soccer

Edwards rounds up the fantasy list at number 10. She may not be a fantasy superstar yet, but she is going to put up great numbers for where she is drafted, one of the better value picks this year. Second on the team in shots with seven, she is bound to start hitting the back of the net, and once that first goal comes, I suspect many will follow.