Men’s lax heads out west

After opening the season with six straight wins, the Quinnipiac University men’s lacrosse team has dropped two in a row and face two of their toughest road tests this weekend.

The Bobcats will travel to Colorado to take on the Pioneers of Denver University Friday, April 11 at 9:30 p.m. Mountain Standard Time and the Air Force Academy at 3 p.m. MST on Sunday afternoon.

Ranked No. 19 in the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association Poll, the Pioneers knocked off No. 7 ranked Notre Dame in thrilling fashion 9-8 on Saturday.

So far this season, Denver has posted a 3-2 record against ranked opponents. They defeated Colgate, Cornell and Stony Brook, but fell in a pair of one-goal defeats to Towson and North Carolina.

The Pioneers are led by freshman midfielder Jamie Lincoln. The first year phenom is one of the most dangerous

freshman goal scorers in the country. In 11 games he has registered 26 goals and three assists to lead the team with 29 points.

The Air Force Falcons are paced offensively by a balanced attack. Five players have recorded double digit goals this season for Air Force. Midfielder Griffin Nevitt has tallied 34 points (19 G, 15 A) and attacker Will Meister is second on the team with 33 points (13 G, 20 A).

The six straight wins to start the season for the Bobcats was the most since the 2001 season, when they started 12-0.

In their Great Western Lacrosse League opener, the Bobcats fell to Ohio State 18-7. The Buckeyes, ranked No. 18 in the USILA Coaches Poll, used a 12-2 first half run to overwhelm the Bobcats in Hamden on March 29.

Last Wednesday, the Bobcats lost their second consecutive game, dropping a 14-10 decision to in-state foe Sacred Heart.

Scoring the last six goals of the second period, the Bobcats took a commanding 8-3 lead into halftime.

Gary Messina tied Garret Kerr for the team lead with 17 points, tallying two goals and three assists in the losing effort.

Momentum flipped in the third quarter as Sacred Heart scored all seven goals in the frame, erasing the five goal deficit built by the Bobcats in the first half.

The Pioneers took advantage of all three man-up opportunities in the period and did not commit a penalty of their own.

Tyler McCabe’s first goal of the season ended the Pioneers streak of eight straight goals but the home team tallied the next three goals to put the Bobcats away.

The Bobcats next home game and final game of the season is against Bellarmine on Saturday, April 26.