Kummerfeldt’s late HR sends Bobcats to DH split

The Quinnipiac University baseball team split a doubleheader with the University of Hartford on Sunday at Bobcat Field.

Quinnipiac won the first game 5-4 with some late game heroics, but lost the second game 6-4, unable to overcome an early deficit for the second time for the day.

In game one, freshman leadoff man Ben Farina led off the bottom of the first inning with a fly ball that the Hartford left fielder lost in the sun, dropping in for a double. Farina later scored from third on a sac fly by third baseman Joe Poletsky, who was robbed of a hit when Hawks centerfielder Adam Bowser made a diving catch. Farina went 2-for-4 in the first game with two runs scored.

After holding Hartford to only one run over the first four innings, junior right handed pitcher Andy Mayer got into some trouble in the top of the 5th. Hartford designated hitter Drew Sgro reached base on a slow ground ball that was misplayed by Poletsky at third base. Sgro would score on a double in the gap by Simon Kudernatsch. Kudernatsch then scored on a single by Bill Perry. Matt Walker drove in Perry on a single through the left side of the infield to give Hartford a 4-2 lead.

However, the Bobcats would fight back in the bottom of the 6th. Trailing 4-2, shortstop John Delaney hit a solo home run over the left field fence to make the game 4-3. It was Delaney’s fourth home run of the season.

Despite a quality outing, Mayer left the game with the Bobcats trailing 4-3. Mayer gave up four runs, two earned, over six innings. He allowed seven hits and struck out three on the day. Mayer was relieved by left handed pitcher Chris Gloor, who allowed only two base runners for the next three innings of the game. In the bottom of the 8th, still trailing 4-3 and Farina on second, first baseman Pete Kummerfeldt worked the count against Hawks reliever Marc Toomey before belting a monster two run home run over the right field fence to give the Bobcats a 5-4 lead. It was Kummerfeldt’s team leading fifth home run of the season.

The Bobcats never looked back as Gloor finished out the game to earn his first win of the season.

In game two of the doubleheader, starter Tyler Brett struggled early, giving up two runs in the 1st inning. However, Quinnipiac battled back to score two of their own in the first inning. Farina and Bryn Doyle singled to start the inning and Farina scored on a passed ball and Doyle moved up to third. Kummerfeldt was then intentionally walked.

That set the table for Poletsky, as he hit an RBI double down the right field line to make the game 2-2.

Brett struggled in the second inning as well and the Bobcat defense didn’t help out behind him. The Bobcats made four errors and allowed four runs to score, giving Hartford a 6-2 lead. Brett allowed six runs, three earned in two innings of work.

Right handed pitcher Joe Duffy came in to start the third inning and pitched the rest of the game. He allowed no runs and two hits and struck out six in five innings.

In the bottom of the sixth, Quinnipiac tried to come back from behind for the second time on the day, as freshman Blake Barone walked with one out and moved to third on a double by junior catcher Michael Marmo. Barone and Marmo would score on an infield hit and throwing error. The throw on the ground ball off the bat of Farina was high and that allowed Marmo to also score to make the score 6-4 Hartford. With the bases loaded and Kummerfeldt at the plate, Hartford brought in left handed pitcher Justin Diconzo. Kummerfeldt, looking to duplicate his heroics from game one grounded into a double play to end the 6th inning and the rally for Quinnipiac.

Despite the strong relief performance by Duffy and 11 hits, the score stood at 6-4, giving the Bobcats a split of the double-header.

The Bobcats will travel to Siena Tuesday and host Yale Wednesday before starting Northeast Conference play this weekend at in-state foe Central Connecticut State.