Hoodie Allen to open for Sam Adams, 3OH!3 at SPB fall concert

Lenny Neslin

Hip-hop artist Hoodie Allen will open for Sam Adams and 3OH!3 at Student Programming Board’s fall concert at Quinnipiac University’s TD Bank Sports Center Oct. 1, SPB announced Monday.

Allen recently released “Leap Year,” his fourth album since gaining a fan base on the Internet in 2009.

“This year we decided it would be a great option to build a show with two artists who are just similar enough to bring the same vibe but different enough that it will attract different crowds,” said Jamie Kloss, SPB’s mainstage chair.

The contracts for the performers have not been finalized, Stephen Pagios, assistant director of student center and campus life said Monday.

“We’re still working on it. It’s nothing to worry about at all. It’s a lot of dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s. 3OH!3 is not on tour, so they are a little more lax; it’s not as much as a process with them because they’re not doing it back-to-back,” Pagios said.

While this will be the third time in two years that Adams will perform in front of a Quinnipiac crowd, it will be the first for 3OH!3.

“They’ve done well on our survey for the last two years and it really made sense this year to build a show,” Kloss said.

Pagios and Kloss did not say how much it cost to book either performer.

“We got them both for a good rate. When they’re very cost-effective for us, that’s why we can get two of them. We really wanted to provide students with more than one act to go to,” Pagios said.

Allen will perform first, followed by Sam Adams, and then 3OH!3.

Adams, also known as “Boston’s Boy,” was in New Haven at the popular Saturday night hangout spot Toad’s Place in April and September 2010.

“He plays the kind of music that Quinnipiac students like to dance to,” Kloss said. “He’s our age; people like going to see someone they can relate to. He has a great following here.”

Featured in 2010’s Stoolapalooza college tour, Adams performed at Toad’s April 18, the same night as SPB’s annual spring concert headlined by The Fray.

“He did very well there,” Kloss said. “Our choice of picking him didn’t really reflect the (scheduling) conflict that we had with The Fray at all. I know that if he came any other night he would have done well.”

3OH!3 is a duo known for its hit with past Quinnipiac concert performer, Ke$ha, “My First Kiss” and several other songs with electronic edge.

Tickets prices will be very similar to what they were for Ke$ha, who performed at The Bank last spring with both stadium and floor seating, Kloss said. The tickets will be on sale throughout September.

Though it would be too difficult to ban cellphones and confiscate any being used during the show, the standard rule of no camera and video use during the show likely will be enforced, Pagios said.

Meghan Parmentier contributed to this story.