Global Affairs Association joins 3,000 at Model UN conference

For Colleen Driscoll, assistant professor of political science, attending the Model United Nations with the Quinnipiac chapter of Global Affairs Association was like coming home.

“I have worked with Model UN groups before coming to Quinnipiac, so I know how they work,” said Driscoll, who worked with the United Nations in New York and Geneva, Switzerland.

Guided by the UN consultant and nongovernmental representative, 30 members of GAA traveled to the Boston Park Plaza Hotel and joined more than 3,000 other delegates from multiple universities and colleges across the country to discuss and brainstorm possible solutions for current issues.

“I was not surprised, but rather pleased to see how well our students, for whom this is only the second year in MUN, held their own in the committees with delegations whose colleges have been doing this for decades,” Driscoll said.

Each conference attendee was assigned three prospective social problems and three countries. They spent the months leading up to the conference researching and gathering information on each topic.

[quote]

Then, from Feb. 17-20, the delegations met and collaborated on each idea and possible solution. Days spent at the conference were full of committee meetings which included moderated caucuses, unmoderated caucuses, speakers and writing draft resolutions.

“I think when you leave this conference, you realize what you can do, and working with other people that have the same goals as you, which is making a difference in the world,” said Adam Horgan, president of GAA. “I think one of the most important things to gain from this conference is the motivation and empowerment to make a difference.”

The conference also gave the members an idea of what needs to be changed in their own organization.

Driscoll said she plans to have members attend formalized training on how to work in committees as well as writing and presenting papers and resolutions.