Men’s Ice Hockey: Zurevinski, Bobcats hold off Big Green

Dartmouth remained winless, while the No. 19 Quinnipiac Bobcats stayed undefeated after beating the Big Green 4-2 last night at the TD Bank Sports Center.

Junior wingman Scott Zurevinski led Quinnipiac with two scores, including a pivotal insurance goal in the third period. He also scored one of Quinnipiac’s three first period goals.

“We came out strong,” Zurevinski said. “I thought the pucks were going our way, and we were lucky to get three in the first period.

Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet said his team just didn’t have the same luck Quinnipiac had.

“I’m disappointed in some of the breakdowns that we had,” Gaudet said. “But I’m sure they felt the same way, it just didn’t end up in the back of the net for us.”

And it was Dartmouth who dominated the second period, responding with two unanswered goals and outshooting the Bobcats 19-5.

“I think we sat on the lead a bit too much and let them come back in the game, but we’ll take a start like that any day,” Zurevinski said.

Gaudet opted for sophomore goaltender James Mello to take over net-duties in the second period for Jody O’Neil, and said the move changed the momentum of the game.

“I tried to do my best and get our team back in the game tonight,” said Mello, who played his second game of his career out of relief at the TD Bank Sports Center. “We really battled back and got a couple of nice goals. It was definitely an improvement from the first period.”

Quinnipiac was held to just one shot in a span of almost seven minutes late in the second period.

With back-and-forth action to start the third period, Zurevinski netted an unassisted goal in the eighth minute to put an end to Dartmouth’s charge.

Quinnipiac’s four-goal game was nothing new to them, as it was the seventh time this season the Bobcats scored at least four goals in a game. Their 4.22 goals per game ranks second in ECAC Hockey, only trailing Cornell.

Dartmouth slipped to a conference-worst 0-5-0 record, while Quinnipiac climbed past Colgate for tops in ECAC Hockey with a 4-0-0 record.