Women’s tennis looking strong

With all of last season’s squad back, and two new freshman, the Quinnipiac Women tennis squad should be even stronger.
Last years team was one win short of heading to the NCAA Tennis Tournament, losing to UMBC 4-0 in the NEC Tournament finals. The squad, lead by 10th year coach, Mike Quitko, went a school record, 20-4 last season, and looks to improve on that mark.
“I’d like to believe so,” said Coach Quitko, when asked if he believes the team can improve on last year’s amazing season. “Our depth is going to make us strong, all nine of our girls are capable of playing.”
That depth will be lead by senior Stephanie Petrycki. Petrycki is again the number one singles starter. Petrycki has earned All-Conference three years and has 122 career wins. Jessica Uccello holds the womens career wins record with 159, but according to Coach Quitko, Petrycki has a “good chance to set a new record.”
Sophomore Kim Piazza was also awarded All-Conference honors, and will be battling with junior, Cristan Arahovites for the two and three singles spots.
The four through six spots will all be contested by sophomore, Danielle Rautenberg, senior, Michelle Nagle, junior, April Sonon, freshman, Kat Ehle, and freshman, Liz Axler. Coach Quitko has promising hopes for his two new-comers, “Kat and Liz both will make an impact. Everybody will play an integral role on the season.”
The doubles side of things also appears to be strong. Returning teams of Stephanie Petrycki and Cristan Arahovites, Kim Piazza and Danielle Rautenberg, and the All-Conference team of Michelle Nagle and sophomore Heather Rahm.
The Braves schedule appears to be “very interesting,” according to Coach Quitko, “Everyday we have to wake up and be ready to play tennis.” The squad will face off against tough opponents such as, Boston University, Columbia, Army, University of Connecticut, and of course NEC rival University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
The women will open up next weekend in Bloomsburg for a round robin invitational. After being ranked nationally at one point during last season (74) the Braves strive to improve on their success.