Seniors fire up femme mag

There was no place for female journalists to write about topics exclusively for female students at Quinnipiac until now.

“Her Campus,” an online women’s magazine, features approximately 70 colleges around the country, and Quinnipiac is now one of them.

Her Campus: Quinnipiac was launched Tuesday, Nov. 30, by senior print journalism majors Marissa Kameno and Leigh Maneri, who each hold the position of campus correspondent.

The magazine comprises several different sections that deal with “things college women need to deal with,” Kameno said.

Everything from health and lifestyle to campus news is featured on the website, updated twice a week, along with blogs, “campus celebrity” and the “campus cutie” profile.

The writing in the magazine is considered wittier and more about topics that are not normally seen in the feature section of an average daily newspaper. The writers deal with topics that range anywhere from sex and alcohol to fashion.

“It’s very realistic,” Maneri said. “We’re not tiptoeing around anything, an aspect that was missing before.”

As co-founders of Her Campus: Quinnipiac, Kameno and Maneri are responsible for writing, editing, posting to the website and gathering a team of writers, which has currently reached a total of 19.

“A lot of women in the print journalism program are interested in writing for women’s magazines,” Maneri said.

One of their first writers, Johana Gutierrez, a sophomore public relations major, said that she enjoys writing about the many different topics they are given. Thus far, she has written about the music scene around Hamden and New Haven, fashion, and whether boys prefer “girly girls or bro-girls.”

“I used to read the website anyways, so it was really cool that it was coming to Quinnipiac,” Gutierrez said. “Everyone has their own style, so it’s nice to know that we all mesh together well.”

Among their goals for this year, Kameno and Maneri want to “successfully reach women at Quinnipiac and get positive feedback.”

The first day of the launch, the website received 800 hits. As of Saturday, they reached more than 3,000.

Photo credit: Joe Pelletier