Christian rock groups to perform at QU

Christian rock groups Thirsty Child and Ten Shekel Shirt will perform live in Quinnipiac’s quadrangle at 4:04 p.m. on Saturday, April 21. The Christian Fellowship Club is sponsoring the event as part of Faith Week, which the CFC, Branches and Hillel kicked off on Monday, April 16. The concert is free and open to the public.
    “It’s our gift to the campus,” said CFC member Eric Marrapodi. “We wanted to show people that Christians can rock out and have a blast too.”
    Marrapodi, a junior mass communications major, said the CFC invested a lot of time and effort into promoting the concert. A large audience is expected, including members of the surrounding community.
    “We’ve done quite a bit of advertising,” he said. “We had a big interview with WIHS in Middletown, WFIF and WQUN about it. We even sent out a promotional video to some of the local area churches.”
    Marrapodi explained the process of putting the concert together. “We wanted to bring in a big Christian rock band,” he said. “Thirsty Child contacted us, and then they got in touch with Ten Shekel Shirt. From there, all of the pieces just fell into place.”
    Hamden-based Thirsty Child consists of Mike Ash (vocals, guitar), Andy Sarver (bass, background vocals) and Rob Morris (percussion). The members are full-time missionaries who travel the globe spreading their message to today’s youth. “They have a really great sound, similar to Radiohead,” said Marrapodi. “They can really rock out.”
    Ten Shekel Shirt has finished up a promotional tour for its debut album on Vertical Music. “WQAQ is playing their new single `Sweet Embrace,'” said Marrapodi. “They have a fresh sound.”
    Both Marrapodi and the Christian Fellowship Club would love to see their efforts in reaching both Quinnipiac’s community and the surrounding community pay off. “It’s going to be huge,” promised a hopeful Marrapodi, “the biggest event of the spring.”